Best Music of 2011

Canadian R&B artist Abel Tesfaye
aka The Weeknd whose triple album
can be downloaded for free
When looking at my list of music albums that I think are the best, or at least my favorite, the majority or a heck of a lot are interesting indies. I don't listen to a lot of mainstream stuff. I'm not a Top 40 radio guy. This isn't to say that I don't like mainstream music. In fact, I love Adele.

As you read through this list, which includes albums of various genres, the one thing to keep in mind is that I am a huge fan of soul music. This informs a lot of the choices I made for this list. For example, I really loved the country singer Shelby Lynne because I think that she has one of the most soulful voices I've ever heard. I first heard that voice several years ago when she covered Dusty Springfield for the album Just a Little Lovin'. Shelby doesn't wear her soulfulness on her sleeve, unlike Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings and their current album Soul Time!, but Shelby is very much fueled by those same spirits.

Some might think that my soul music preference would limit what I liked. Actually, it expands the range of music I consider. It had me listening to and considering Soul Punk by Patrick Stump from the rock group Fall Out Boy for example. Now, I don't like heavy metal or honky tonk, for the most part, but I feel like the tons, if not hundreds, of artists and albums that have been opened to me have been phenomenal. Hopefully, this list reflects that.

What I've done is provide links to pages where you can listen to songs or even entire albums for free. Many of the links come courtesy of MySpace Music. There are a couple that come courtesy of the artist's individual website. For singles from non-listed albums, which include music videos, some come courtesy of VEVO, Pitchfork and even Rolling Stone, which provided the entire album In the Grace of Your Love by The Rapture for free, streaming on its site. I've also provided links to artist's Twitter pages, so if you like to learn more about them, you can. Enjoy!

Best Folk / Country

HELPLESSNESS BLUES by Fleet Foxes
MISSION BELL by Amos Lee
BITTER BLOOD by Chamberlin
KISS EACH OTHER CLEAN by Iron & Wine
FOUR THE RECORD by Miranda Lambert

Best Rock / Alternative

BURST APART by The Antlers
NINE TYPES OF LIGHT by TV on the Radio
CIRCUITAL by My Morning Jacket
THAO & MIRAH by Thao & Mirah
MONDO AMORE by Nicole Atkins
DEGENERATION STREET by The Dears
ACTOR-CASTER by The Generationals

Best Pop / Electronic

STRANGE MERCY by St. Vincent
WOUNDED RHYMES by Lykke Li
BORN THIS WAY by Lady Gaga
SEE THE LIGHT by Jessica 6
WITHOUT REGRET by Kimberly Caldwell
MARC BROUSSARD by Marc Broussard
SOUL PUNK by Patrick Stump

Best R&B / Soul

HOUSE OF BALLOONS / THURSDAY by The Weeknd
21 by Adele
STONE ROLLIN' by Raphael Saadiq
4 by Beyoncé
WHAT WERE YOU HOPING FOR? by Van Hunt
WEATHER by Me'shell Ndegeocello

Best Hip-Hop / Rap

TAKE CARE by Drake
RELAX by Das Racist
WATCH THE THRONE by Jay-Z and Kanye West
NO MORE IDOLS by Chase & Status
BLACK & WHITE by Wretch 32

Best Singles from Non-listed Albums

"Te Amo" by Atlas Sound
"The Afterlife" by Paul Simon
"Fool for You" by Cee Lo Green and Melanie Fiona
"Drive Her Out" by Josh T. Pearson
"Angel" by Jennifer Hudson
"Song for Leaving" by Brett Dennen
"Till the End of Time" by Timothy Bloom
"Broken Heart" by French Horn Rebellion
"Far Away" by Marsha Ambrosius
"Sandpaper" by Moby
"Collard Greens & Cornbread" by Fantasia
"I Can Feel It" by Holcombe Waller
"Same Mum" by BRAIDS
"How I Roll" by Britney Spears
"Dedication to My Ex" by Lloyd
"Shell Games" by Bright Eyes
"Black Night" by The Dodos
"6 Foot 7 Foot" by Lil Wayne
"Over and Over" by Teddy Thompson
"In the Grace of Your Love" by The Rapture
"Lovecontract" by Musiq Soulchild
"Where Have You Been" by Rihanna
"Country Music Jesus" by Eric Church

Comments

Popular Posts