Best Movies of the Decade (2019)

As the end of the year approaches, top ten lists or best-of-the-year lists start to appear. As is the case when we reach the end of a year that ends with a "9," critics also start considering the best of the decade. It would be a matter of looking back over one's top ten lists from each year, going back ten and picking the ones that are more noteworthy or lasting than the others. It's a matter of deciding which ones stand the test of time. It's difficult for me because my top ten lists are sometimes top twenty or top thirty lists. Some years produce more than 10 films that I love and I want to hold onto them. Going back a decade and trying to pick the best of those was tough.

For my other lists for the best of the decade, like Best Music of the Decade and Best TV Shows of the Decade, I've limited the list to 25 titles. However, here, I can't do that. I can't limit my list to 25. For me, I have to go to 30. This past decade has over 100 films that I thought were noteworthy. From all of them, I provide 30 that represent the best for me, the crème de la crème.

30. I LOVE YOU, MAN (2009)

29. THE GREY (2012)

28. THE HURT LOCKER (2009) - Pictured right, this is the only film on my list that has won the Academy Award for Best Picture. It's one of eight on this list to be nominated for that Oscar. It's only one of two films on my list to be directed by a woman. It is a phenomenal film about war and what the effects of certainly the recent War in Iraq has been on the psyche of young servicemen. It's powerful stuff.

27. FENCES (2016)

26. WONDER WOMAN (2017) - This is the only super-hero film to make my list, despite plenty to choose from, thanks to Marvel Studios. In the end, for me, Warner Bros. and DC Comics won.

25. LOVE & MERCY (2015)

24. HEREDITARY (2018) - Pictured left, it's one of the only horror films on my list. Depending on what one considers to be horror, there are three horror films for me that make the cut. This one stands out though as the scariest.

23. I, TONYA (2017)

22. 13TH (2016)

21. ROOM (2015)

20. DEAR WHITE PEOPLE (2014)

19. CATFISH (2010) - This documentary spawned a reality series on MTV. It also defined Millennial culture and a generation, as well as coining a new term.

18. CREED (2015)

17. EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP (2010) - This is one of three documentaries on my list. I love documentary filmmaking. I'm surprised I don't have more on here, but this one is an example of how wild, radical, thrilling, innovative, cool and fun that nonfiction cinema can be. Not only is this one to remember for the past decade, but also this past century.

16. CLOUDS OF SILS MARIA (2015)

15. BRONSON (2009) - Despite having seen him in several films prior, this is the film that made me love Tom Hardy. His performance here is raw and powerful.

14. THE WOLF OF WALL STREET (2013)

13. GRAVITY (2013)

12. TOY STORY 3 (2010)

11. EASIER WITH PRACTICE (2010) - Speaking of Catfish, this film was an example of what catfishing was prior to the advent of the Internet and smart phones.

10. BULLHEAD (2012)

9. MOTHER! (2017)

8. ANNIHILATION (2018)

7. IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK (2018)

6. WETLANDS (2011)

5. FOR THOSE IN PERIL (2014)

4. THE KID WITH A BIKE (2012)

3. UP (2009) - It's one of two Pixar films that literally had me crying in the movie theater.

2. WEEKEND (2011)

1. THE TREE OF LIFE (2011) - I am fan of Terrence Malick. This is his masterpiece. It was so great that he was able to use outtakes to craft another film, a documentary called Voyage of Time. It's beyond beautiful. It's anchored by two great performances from Brad Pitt and Jessica Chastain. I just love this film.

Comments

Popular Posts