Fan Fiction - Days of Our Lives - Part 149 - Will and Sonny - Sept. 8, 2012

Anthony D. Langford is a blogger for the web site After Elton. He's based out of Washington, DC. His column is called "Langford on Soaps" and he comments on what's commonly referred to as soap operas or serialized dramas that air in daytime TV. His focus, however, is only to focus on characters in those shows who are gay. Not only does he write about those characters, he also posts video clips from the show. At one point, a couple of years ago, Langford was following all the American soap operas, except General Hospital. With the cancellation of a lot of them, he's down to only one, Days of Our Lives, which is currently the only American daytime drama with gay characters. As a supplement, Langford also follows prime-time soap operas that incorporate gay characters. Recent examples have been 90210 and The L.A. Complex on the CW. Appealing to a global audience, Langford posts about soap operas produced in European countries, such as Hollyoaks in England and even Hotel Caesar in Norway.

If you read his column, you get the sense that the story-lines in which these gay characters are placed are not up to Langford's standards. He criticizes them constantly, particularly what's happening on Days of Our Lives. The comments on his YouTube videos tend to agree. I like soaps and I appreciate what Days of Our Lives is doing but agree with Langford that it could be better. To that end, I've created some fan-fiction. It's not fan-fiction in the sense that I'm generating new story-lines. I'm basically re-writing what's there and hopefully improving upon it. Langford posts clips every week, so I'm basically going to re-write one of those specific clips. This week, it's his video labeled Days of Our Lives - Part 149 - Will and Sonny.

INT. COFFEE HOUSE - DAY

Sonny holds a pair of tickets in his hands as he leans on the front counter when Will enters.

SONNY: Will?
WILL: I got your message.
SONNY: Which one? I sent you like a hundred texts.
WILL: Sorry. I wasn't really ready to talk.

A barista who also works at the coffee house comes behind the counter. Sonny addresses her.

SONNY: Hey! Could you cover me for a minute? I need to take a break.

The barista nods her head yes.

SONNY: Thanks!

He walks around the counter toward Will.

SONNY: I didn't want to get into a big thing. I just wanted to say I'm sorry.
WILL: You're sorry?
SONNY: For kissing you! I shouldn't have done that. I guess I got an idea in my head, a wrong idea, and I acted on it, and it wasn't right, but don't worry. It won't happen again.
WILL: It won't?
SONNY: No! I don't want to lose you, and in the week or so since our kiss, if I've learned anything, I've learned that I don't ever want to do anything to hurt you.
WILL: I wasn't hurt.
SONNY: Or, offend you, or, do anything that would upset you. I just want to go back to how we were before.
WILL: I thought going back to how we were before, particularly my going back to when I was pretending to be straight, was part of the problem.
SONNY: I was wrong. I was just putting something on you.
WILL: No, Sonny! You weren't wrong, and I hate the fact that you weren't. That's what made me upset, and I don't know what I'm upset at more, you calling me out on it, or the fact that part of me does want to go back to being straight.

Chad enters and approaches Will.

CHAD: Will, can I talk to you?

He sees Will and Sonny clearly in the middle of something.

CHAD: Oh! Am I interrupting?
WILL: No, no! It's fine.
SONNY: Will?
WILL: Sonny, can you get us a couple of coffees please?
CHAD: A hot chocolate for me, thanks!

Will and Chad go and sit at a table in the corner.

SONNY: Sure, no problem!

He turns and goes back behind the counter.

WILL: So, Chad, what's up?
CHAD: It's been a while since we've talked.
WILL: I know.
CHAD: First and foremost, I wanted to apologize.
WILL: Apologize for what?
CHAD: When you were accused of killing Stefano, I really came down on you.
WILL: You don't have to apologize for that.
CHAD: Will, I practically attacked you when I should've given you the benefit of the doubt.
WILL: It's okay.
CHAD: No, it's not. It's not okay because you were my friend.
WILL: Were your friend?
CHAD: You are my friend, and that's actually why I'm here. I mean, not to sound gay or anything, but, Will, I miss you. I miss our friendship. I miss being able to hang out with you and talk to you about stuff, especially now because I've felt really alone. Melanie was gone, being held hostage by a maniac. My father was gone, presumed dead. EJ was on the hook for it, so I couldn't really go to him. I had no one. It's like I was out here all by myself, and it was just driving me crazy.
WILL: I wish I could have been there more for you.
CHAD: I understand why you weren't but hopefully in the future we can change that.
WILL: Yeah, I'd like that.
CHAD: And I don't want you to feel like I'm only going to unload all my problems on you. I want you to feel like you can talk to me about your problems because I know that you've been going through a lot too.
WILL: Yeah, but I'm fine. You don't have to worry about me.
CHAD: You were accused of murder! And, clearing your name came at the expense of being outed publicly.
WILL: And, I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I really wanted to talk to you about that.
CHAD: It's okay. I understand. I just hope you didn't tell me because you thought I was like T and I would hate you for it.
WILL: No! I know you wouldn't be like that.
CHAD: I came here because I wanted to talk to you about Melanie, my girlfriend, but I want you to be able to talk to me about your boyfriend and stuff.
WILL: I don't have a boyfriend.
CHAD: There's no one special in your life?

Sonny arrives with a tray that has two drinks on it.

SONNY: Here you go.

He hands Chad the hot chocolate.

CHAD: Thanks, Sonny!

He hands Will the coffee. Will reaches for it before Sonny has a chance to let go and their hands touch and linger for a moment. The two realize and pull their heads away.

WILL: Thanks, Sonny.
SONNY: You're welcome.

Chad notices this.

CHAD: Is something going on between you two?

WILL & SONNY (In unison): What? No!

Both look at each other.

CHAD: (skeptical) Okay!
SONNY: What were you two talking about?
CHAD: I was just apologizing to Will about accusing him of murder and trying to put him in prison.
SONNY: (to Will) Oh! Speaking of which, I heard your cousin was getting out today.
CHAD: You mean Nick? He's getting out today?
SONNY: Yeah, what was he in prison for?

Chad jumps up in anger.

WILL: Chad, wait!
CHAD: Will, I got to go. I'll call you later.

Chad rushes out.

SONNY: What about your chocolate?
CHAD: Put it on my tab.

Chad exits.

INT. COFFEE HOUSE - DAY - LATER

Sonny is at the counter serving lattes and working at the register. He's fairly busy. Will is still sitting in the corner. He finishes his coffee, stands up, pulls out some cash from his wallet, drops a tip on the table and starts to leave. Sonny sees him.

SONNY: Will, wait!

Sonny comes around the counter, almost desperately.

WILL: Sonny, I should go.
SONNY: We were interrupted before we finished our talk.
WILL: Let's just agree to forget what happened and move on.
SONNY: We can forget about the kiss, if you want, but you said a part of you wanted to be straight. I think we should talk about that.
WILL: I shouldn't have said that. I didn't mean it.
SONNY: I think you did, and I think we should talk about it.
WILL: Sonny, don't...

Sonny's phone rings.

WILL: You should answer that.
SONNY: Just hold on.

Sonny answers his phone.

SONNY: (to phone) Hello. (beat.) Hey, Brian! (beat.) Yeah, could you hold on?

He turns back to see Will is gone.

INT. BRADY'S PUB - DAY

Will enters to find Marlena sitting on the far end near the bar. Marlena sees him.

MARLENA: Hello, Will.

She waves him over and he approaches.

WILL: Hi, how are you?
MARLENA: I'm fine. What are you up to?
WILL: Not much, just trying to repair relationships!
MARLENA: Relationship(s), plural?
WILL: Yeah, two people this time.
MARLENA: I'm guessing your parents.
WILL: Actually, then, that makes four people.
MARLENA: So, this has nothing to do with Sami and Lucas?
WILL: They're a whole other can of worms that I'll deal with later. Right now, I'm trying to fix things between two friends of mine.
MARLENA: Why don't you sit down for a minute? Maybe I can help.

Will sits across from her.

MARLENA: Does this have to do with that young man that you said you were interested in, romantically?
WILL: Partially, yeah!
MARLENA: What's the other part?
WILL: The other part is just me not being a good friend.
MARLENA: How so?
WILL: It's weird because ever since I came out, and even though people's reactions have been mostly positive, especially from my friends and even my ex-girlfriends, it's made me want to be around them less.
MARLENA: Why?
WILL: Because if I'm around them, then they'll want to talk about it!
MARLENA: Talk about what? About you being gay?
WILL: Yeah, and I don't know what to say to them. I barely know what to say myself. So, I figure if I'm not around them, then I don't have to talk about it, and if I don't have to talk about it, then I don't have to think about it, and if I don't have to think about it, then maybe I don't have to be it.
MARLENA: You don't have to be gay, meaning deep down, you don't want to be gay?

Will shakes his head yes.

MARLENA: Will, I don't understand. We've talked about this. You may not want to be gay, but that's who you are, and I thought you knew that there's nothing wrong with it.
WILL: I know that there's nothing wrong with being gay.
MARLENA: Then, what is this, Will?
WILL: I've been to a gay bar, once, the night of Stefano's murder, and the guys there were nice, but, grandma, it's just not me. I don't want to be a part of that scene. I don't want to meet some guy in a bar. I don't want to.
MARLENA: Sweetheart, no one said you had to.
WILL: But, how else am I going to meet somebody?
MARLENA: That young man that you said you liked, you didn't meet him in a bar?
WILL: No.
MARLENA: Well, there you go.
WILL: But, because I was stupid, I messed it up, and now he's moved on with some other guy, and I'm going to be alone for the rest of my life.

Will gets up and walks away.

INT. COFFEE HOUSE - DAY

Sonny is again at the counter, cleaning it, wiping it down with a rag, when Abigail enters.

ABIGAIL: Sonny, how are you?
SONNY: Working hard as always!

Abigail sets her purse down and sits on the stool at the counter in front of Sonny.

ABIGAIL: I see.
SONNY: Have you talked to Chad today?
ABIGAIL: No, I haven't.
SONNY: He was here earlier and he left really upset.
ABIGAIL: He's been upset for the past few days.
SONNY: Why?
ABIGAIL: The guy who kidnapped Melanie is getting out of prison.
SONNY: I thought he was dead.
ABIGAIL: This is another guy, Will's cousin, Nick.

INT. BRADY'S PUB - RETURN TO PREVIOUS

Will paces away from Marlena anxiously. Marlena stands and follows him, wanting to comfort him.

MARLENA: Will, you are not going to be alone for the rest of your life.
WILL: The rate I'm going, yes I am.
MARLENA: This young man whom you like, you should go to him and tell him how you feel, try to pursue a relationship with him again.
WILL: I can't.
MARLENA: I know you said you "messed it up," but, I'm a big believer in second chances, and if you're honest and up front with how you feel, this young man might just give you a second chance.
WILL: It's too late. He's already dating someone else.
MARLENA: It hasn't been that long. Maybe his dating someone else isn't that serious.
WILL: If it isn't serious yet, it soon will be because he'd be better off with this other guy. I mean this other guy is tall, dark, handsome, confident, unafraid, basically all the things that I'm not.
MARLENA: Hey, don't you do that. Don't you put yourself down like that. You may have your issues, but trust me, any boy would be lucky to have you. You're smart. You're strong. You're good, not just good-looking, but good on the inside, and inside of you is a lot of love, Will Horton. You just have to decide if you're going to let it out.

END SCENE.

Comments

Popular Posts